The Pathauto module provides a mechanism to automate the creation of path aliases. This makes URLs more readable and helps search engines index content more effectively. For more information, see the online documentation for Pathauto.
- Pathauto is accessed from the tabs it adds to the list of URL aliases.
- Creating Pathauto Patterns
- The "Patterns" page is used to configure automatic path aliasing. New patterns are created here using the Add Pathauto pattern button which presents a form to simplify pattern creation thru the use of available tokens. The patterns page provides a list of all patterns on the site and allows you to edit and reorder them. An alias is generated for the first pattern that applies.
- Pathauto Settings
- The "Settings" page is used to customize global Pathauto settings for automated pattern creation.
- The maximum alias length and maximum component length values default to 100 and have a limit of 255 from Pathauto. You should enter a value that is the length of the "alias" column of the path_alias database table minus the length of any strings that might get added to the end of the URL. The recommended and default value is 100.
- Bulk Generation
- The "Bulk Generate" page allows you to create URL aliases for items that currently have no aliases. This is typically used when installing Pathauto on a site that has existing un-aliased content that needs to be aliased in bulk.
- Delete Aliases
- The "Delete Aliases" page allows you to remove URL aliases from items that have previously been assigned aliases using pathauto.